St. Luke’s was established in 1953 as the source for Episcopal/Anglican services in this East Texas area and a venue for newly ordained deacons and vicars to train for the Diocese of Texas. Members met in private homes and then the American Legion Hall as the men of the church worked to establish a suitable church venue. St. Luke’s became known in the Diocese as the “hardest working mission” due to the dedication of the congregation to acquire and renovate various buildings into appropriate facilities for worship services. In 1954, the bottom half of the historic Oleander Hotel was moved onto the church property and the men of the church worked to convert it into a church sanctuary with a back room serving as classroom/parish hall/robing room and sachistry. A free standing kitchen from the Cochran estate on Jackson Avenue was moved onto the church property in 1959, and served as the parish hall/Sunday school classroom and later the prep. room for the outreach resale shop, The Oasis. A parish hall was built in 1961 to complete the campus and all buildings served the congregation until the current church was built in 1984. The present building was dedicated in 1984 and the current parish hall was added in 1992. By 2001, the Oasis had outgrown the use of the three old church buildings, and funding was attained to build the current building facility on the east side of the church property. Two of the old buildings were torn down, and the ‘Cochran kitchen’ was moved offsite to make room for the new Oasis building.
The real history of St. Luke’s is its people who are known for their friendly fellowship, hospitality and welcoming ways. Families have been the center of St. Luke’s life, and the original outreach involved all aspects of activity within the Livingston area. By 1969, upon completion of Lake Livingston, the congregation gradually expanded to include members from other towns of Polk and San Jacinto County. St. Luke’s has a proud past of service and it works to serve the current needs of it’s members and communities as it prepares for a future filled with more family and community involvement.